Friday 28 December 2018

Letter to my MP - Understanding of the EU's trading arrangements


I understand that you will have received a letter from Tim Martin of J D Wetherspoon plc and another in reply from Jim Cornelius. I urge you to read them both.

Mr Martin laments that "some MPs, speaking on behalf of major parties on national television, still don't understand the basic mechanics of the EU's customs union". Mr Cornelius responds that "Mr Martin's claims about EU protectionism and tariffs are wide of the mark, and he seems to be given an inordinate amount of time to espouse them on TV without ever being challenged by experts".

Having worked through much of the information referred to by Mr Cornelius over the last three years (though I wouldn't claim his depth of knowledge) I'm convinced that his criticisms are justified. It is also notable that he provides evidence to support his points, while Mr Martin does not.

I agree with Mr Martin that it's a pity so many people still don't understand the workings of the EU's trading arrangements, but on this occasion he is the one who really falls short. Unfortunately, several MPs and MEPs have taken the same position. I hope you are not among them, and that the information provided in this exchange will inform the debate better in future.


For reference (not included in my email):

Letter from Tim Martin
Letter from Jim Cornelius

UK (mostly) Bluesky starter packs

The person who assembled the list - the internal Bluesky name of the starter pack - the link andywestwood.bsky.social - go.bsky.app/6jFi56t ...