Monday 8 October 2018

Letter to my MP - deals and no deals - the reply


Three and a half weeks ago I wrote to my MP to express concern about ministerial statements which attempted to make the withdrawal agreement currently being negotiated - particularly the financial settlement - conditional on a final UK-EU trade deal which is not being negotiated and might in fact never happen.

I quoted David Allen Green, the FT's legal commentator: "The UK is proposing to renege on the payments to the EU it has already agreed in principle. This is dangerous madness. As a post-Brexit UK makes its own way in the world, it is crucial that future partners see UK as trustworthy in its promises" and concluded by saying I believe the government's ambiguous, or even cynical, position is short-sighted and likely to be counter-productive.

I received a reply on Friday. It fails to address my concerns or the statements from ministers. As I said last time I published such a reply, anybody would think she had just read the subject line and asked an assistant to produce a chunk of standard ministry-supplied text.

Here, with the single redaction of my address, is the text of the reply.










UK (mostly) Bluesky starter packs

The person who assembled the list - the internal Bluesky name of the starter pack - the link andywestwood.bsky.social - go.bsky.app/6jFi56t ...